- Performers entering data into the Statewide Performer
Database should note the following:
- Performance content and format should be suitable
for a library setting and should be appropriate for the age of
the intended audience.
- Performers should have prior experience performing
in a library or school setting, or other appropriate venue.
- Performers should not include programs that
advance their own personal beliefs or doctrines.
- As administrators of the database the regional
coordinators reserve the right to exclude
any performer or program from the directory if it does not meet
the above criteria.
- Editing Time Out
- If you are editing your data, don't leave the
editing screen idle for more than 15 minutes. As a security
database is set to log you out of your account after 20
minutes of inactivity. Best to save/update your work frequently.
- Temporarily Unavailable?
- If you won't be available to perform for a length
of time, please add a note to your Performer Profile page.
- Removing your data from the database
- If a performer wishes to have his/her records permanently
deleted, they should email the appropriate regional coordinator.
- The parties responsible for managing the Statewide
Performer Database do not sell any information provided by performers
and program presenters.
- No user names or passwords are required to search the database.
Please be aware that the database is open and searchable by anyone.
- Web log files are utilized to track statistical
usage of the database, but no personal information is tracked.
not set cookies on users' machines.
Filling Out the Performer Profile Form
- Your e-mail address will be used as your log in
name (user name). Having your user name as your e-mail address
allows us to contact you to ask you to update your information
or to provide you with additional information about the performer
database. PRIVACY: We will not distribute any
information about you to any other organization.
- Don't have an email address? You
can still sign up by creating your own user ID. Enter a name you'll
remember. It can be any number of characters and numbers. Remember
though, you won't get any e-mail announcements about the database
if you don't have an e-mail address.
- Get a free e-mail account: If you
don't have e-mail, there are many free e-mail services to choose
from. Yahoo has
a long list of them. Or you could check with your local library
to see if they have any recommendations.
- Choose a 4 to 8 character password that is easy
for you to remember, but not easy for others to guess. It can contain
numbers and letters. Enter it exactly the same way in both "Password"
boxes. If the passwords don't match when you submit the page, you'll
see a message telling you to go back and fix the password. Should
you forget your password after you've created your account, there
is a "forgot your password" feature on the main
login page that will send your password to your e-mail address.
- Stage Name
- If you have a special name all of your performances
fall under, enter it here (e.g., The Puppet People have about 6
or 8 differently named programs, but their stage name is The Puppet
- Phone number where you can be reached for booking purposes.
- Agent's Name
- If you use an agent to book your programs, enter their name and
contact information (phone and/or e-mail address) here.
- If you have a Web site you would like others to
access, enter the address for it here.
- Home Region
- You must select one home region. If
you live in New York State, please select the region that
you live in or
There are 9 regions of the state, each one has a regional
contact that can help you with the database. Selecting a home
not affect which regions you are willing to perform in. You
can select performance regions in the next section of the Performer
- Out of State? Pick the region of
the state closest to your home or any region that you want to be
primarily associated with.
- Performance Regions
- Choose the areas of the state where you are willing
to perform. You can choose one, several or all regions. Your performance
information will be available only for the regions you select.
- Enter the names of up to five libraries or venues
where you have performed. The list will be used
by library staff as a way to obtain
Adding and Editing Programs
- Please enter the name of the program you wish to promote.
Do not enter more than one name. If you have multiple programs, please
add each program individually.
- Program Category
- You may select up to 3 categories per program
that most closely describe your program.
- Audience Level
- Choose the primary audience for your program.
- Program Length
- How long is your program, including any time for questions and
- Size of Audience
- How many people is your program designed to accommodate?
- Program Description
- Outline the key components of your program description here,
including what you do during the program, whether the program involves
audience participation, and any other information needed to describe
- Space/Special Requirements
- If you need a certain amount of space, require tables and chairs
for participants, require access to an electrical outlet, or have
other special needs, please note them here.
- Travel Restrictions
- If you’ll only travel within a certain radius
of your home, limit travel in the winter or need special accommodations,
- Program Fee
- Fees are a range. More specific fee information
and/or negotiability can be indicated in “Additional
information about fees”.
FEES - Negotiable fees: Some
performers may have concerns about setting a fixed price for
a program, when indeed the price may be negotiable. If your price
is negotiable, please select a price range as a ballpark figure
and use the notes section of the entry to explain that you are
in your pricing.
FEES - Fees vary: If
the fees you are quoting here are strictly for public libraries
and you have other rates for other types of performance venues,
you can use the notes section to explain that.
- Additional Information About Fees
- If you have additional fees, such as for supplies, or offer special
block booking discounts, or have other information you want to
include about your fees, please note that here.
- If no, enter rate per mile
- If mileage is not
included in your fee and you charge a per mile rate, enter that
in the "Cost per Mile" box. Please enter in the mileage
rate in whole cents. You can also leave
that box as 0.00 and explain your transportation fees in the box
information about fees."
- Special Notes
- Any information you would like included, which does not fit into
other categories may be entered here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: I have a number of programs in the database.
I clicked on my name under one of the subject category
displays on the main page and only one program came up. Why don't
all my programs
Because only one of your programs is in that
subject category. Your other programs are listed in other subject
categories. You can find all of their programs (regardless of category),
by clicking on
link within that program that says "See all of this performer's
- Q: How can I flag those of
our performances that are most suitable for the
2005 Summer Reading Program theme? That would be very valuable to
be able to do.
A: The best way to do this would be to include a line in your program
descriptions about the 2005 Summer Reading Program. Suggested text: Suitable
2005 NYS Summer Reading Program, Tune in @ Your Library. With
in your descriptions, your programs will show up in any searches for Summer
Reading or the Tune In theme.
- Q: How do you decide what performers are listed on the
main page? I don't see my name?
A: Performers are selected randomly from
the database. Every time you return to the main page, you will see
a new display
If there aren't many performers in a particular category, the same
names will appear quite frequently. While some categories with lots
of performers will see a greater variety of names. You can see all
the performers in a category by clicking on the MORE link in each section.
- Q: I'm a member of more than one performance
group. How do I add an account for each group?
A: You can create as many accounts as you need. You just can't use the same
email address for all of the accounts. If you try to create another account
with the same email address, the system will tell you that the account is already
in use. You can use another email address if you have one, or use the email
address of one of the other members of your group, or you could actually just
make one up. But if you make up an email address, we won't be able to get in
touch with you.
- Q: I didn't add any programs when I signed up. How do I do that now?
-- Go to http://www.performersandprograms.com/pf/
-- Login with your
email address and password. This takes you to your
-- Select the ADD A NEW PROGRAM option.
-- Fill out the program information
-- Click on the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the
TIP: If you're
a slow typist or you need to spend some time thinking about
the description of your program, take time to write
up your description before you sign on. As a security
measure the system signs your account
off after 20 minutes. So you could lose the information
you're typing in if it takes you longer than 20 minutes.
If you type the information
you can copy and paste the description into the form
after you log in.